Posted to rec.food.cooking
J S J S is offline

Default Bay Leaf Question

Bay Leaf Question

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Jun 15, 2007, 9:28pm (EDT-1) From:
(jmcquown)
wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:47 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
"J S" > wrote in message

Having had a recent near choking episode when I stupidly left bay leaf
in my pasta sauce,Ive wondered if this has happened to anyone else.It
happened to my friend up in Jersey and was quite serious/Ive noticed
some TV chefs leave it in and others remove them.
Smitty in St.Pete
Chew. Didn't your Mom tell you not to gulp your food down?
BOB
Usually, when a recipe calls for a bay leaf I leave it out bcause it
overwhelms the more subtle flavors, but when I use seasonings that have
to be removed, I put them in a stainless steel tea ball and remove it
when the sauce or soup tastes right.
A double-folded square of cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine works just
as well.
<<guess my mom was right,,,about the cheesecloth...will hunt some up.My
grandmother used to get hers in an old(1940s-50s) Italian grocer in a
glass jar, many of them were not whole,bit pieces..
Smitty in St.Pete