Dawn

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

Bob Travis wrote:

> I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
> begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after breakfast

Probably it does, once it's cooled. But does enough grow in 12 hours to
make you sick?

I leave apple crisp out for days, if it lasts that long. I do cover it,
though, with plastic or the casserole lid.

> comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
> refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?

I don't know that high sugar content does anything. But if you practice
general hygeine and cleanliness (washing hands, wiping off counters,
refridgerating raw meats, not having small 6 legged pests) you probably
are not at risk from day old bakery goods.

I wouldn't leave it uncovered outside, where pets could get it, or allow
people to stick their fingers into it.

Dawn