soTWEEDLEjourn

Default Hot water bath processing question

The Joneses wrote:

> soTWEEDLEjourn wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I want to make some cantaloupe pickles and googled some great
> > idea-some origionally from this group!
> > The question I have is this- the hot water bath processing time
> > differs from 5 minutes to 15 minutes from when the water comes to a
> > boil.
> > I'll be using 250 ml jars (I hate metric- I grew up with Imperial
> > measurements!) I think this works out to about 8 oz. I just measured
> > it out...)
> > Anyway- thanks kindly for any and all advice. I really appreciate your
> > help.

> I love metric, much easier to * and /. Fractions slurp. I made
> cantaloupe pickles the first year I started. By then I'd made so many
> different kinds I never wanted to taste sweet-sour pickles again. I
> thought they were marvelously fragrant, but kinda of a pain to make for so
> little gain. And they were deathly sweet. We'd rather have cantaloupes
> fresh. If you're at or less than 1000' elevation, JOP calls for 10 min.
> for pint jars for cantaloupe pickles. I usually cut 5' for half pints. &
> add mins as needed for altitude.
> Edrena, lost in the clouds at 4,000 feet.

I'm not really sure what the altitude is where I am: there are mountains
northwest of here in Collingwood, Ont (for any Ontarians reading this) and
it's part of the system that runs from the Niagara Escarpment and ends at the
Scarborough bluffs in Toronto. In between the limestone escarpment peaks and
then runs underground near Holland Marsh, rises again at Mt. Albert and so on.
It's an up and down rollercoaster ride heading up Hwy 48 (please let an
Ontarian help out with altitude). the 'valleys deep, mountains high'.

Unfortunately it kind of puts me at a loss for knowing how to process. Is
there a safe but happy medium? Would 10 minutes be safe? If it's any kind of
indicator, I don't have problems baking and don't have to adjust baking times
for altitude.

If I had to guess to be safe, I'd put it at 1,000-1,500'.

Thanks for your patience, it's really appreciated!

Annie