Melba's Jammin'

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

In article >, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
> > The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
> > liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint
> > jars lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with
> > lids in it on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later,
> > when she was ready to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that
> > long to do, let me hasten to add; she spent an hour talking about
> > other stuff before she got to cooking), she emptied the water from
> > each and dried the inside with a dish towel. And she filled the
> > jars and sealed them and used the inversion method because "this is
> > what Certo recommends." She mentioned the USDA's recommended
> > method for water bath processing but said that that's hot, takes
> > more time, and this is easier.

> For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
> actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin
> went out of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go
> for jellies and jams that are going to be stored.

Tell me what you think.

From the Certo instruction leaflet:
"Read these important tips before you start!"
(Basic info snipped -- don't reduce sugar, pectin products are not
interchangeable, don't double recipes, use correct measuring equipment,
etc., etc.)

Followed by directive to use SureJell for Lower sugar Recipes pectin in
pink box for making spreads with less sugar.

Followed by:
"Note: While you can still use the USDA boiling water bath method of
preparing jams and jellies, CERTO has eliminated the need for this step.
Because jams and jellies are high acid foods, jar preparation can be
made simpler by starting with clean jars and working through the recipe
without delay. Contaminants in jars are destroyed when hot fruit
mixtures are poured *immediately, jars covered and inverted. (When
preserving *all other foods*, follow recommended USDA water bath or
pressure-canning methods.

If preparing jams or jellies for a contest or competition, be sure to
check contest rules for jam and jelly processing. Some contests do not
accept the inversion method."

Their jar prep instructions advise: "Wash jars and screw bands in hot,
soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids
in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use."

FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.