Pennyaline

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:

<big snip>

> The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
> liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint jars
> lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with lids in it
> on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later, when she was ready
> to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that long to do, let me hasten
> to add; she spent an hour talking about other stuff before she got to
> cooking), she emptied the water from each and dried the inside with a
> dish towel. And she filled the jars and sealed them and used the
> inversion method because "this is what Certo recommends." She mentioned
> the USDA's recommended method for water bath processing but said that
> that's hot, takes more time, and this is easier.

For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin went out
of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go for jellies and
jams that are going to be stored.