Melba's Jammin'

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

In article >, "Christine"
> wrote:

> >"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> No, it's not the first choice, but it's listed below as a second
> option--and that was in the low-sugar package.

Gotcha.

> <snip>
> > I hope you'll ring them up and tell them of your experience.

> Oh yes! This crisis cost me an emergency trip to the store for more
> pectin, lids, and propane--as well as another six hours in the
> kitchen reprocessing. I had made about 28 cups of raspberry jam the
> day before using the inversion method and those were reprocessed as
> well. The extension office said those would be safe if reprocessed
> as they were less than 24 hours old.

Oy! PITA.

> <snip>
> > OK. One can hardly argue that the inversion is not a simpler thing
> > to do at the outset -- but look at what it got YOU: Mold in your
> > product, anxiety and angst, and a re-do that will probably render
> > your jam safe for your consumption.
> >
> > None of which you'd have if the jars had been processed properly in
> > the first place. Which method ends up to have taken more of your
> > time?

> Well, I will return to processing my jams in a WB in the future. I
> was glad I found the mold right away--I'd have been really ticked if
> I discovered the icky jam in the fall when it would have been
> completely ruined.

No kidding!

BTW, I wasn't directing the "which method ends up taking more time"
thing to you, specifically. The generic 'you' was in play.

> Well, my strawberry jam was *perfect* when I used the inversion
> method. It did loose a little flavor once reprocessed, but after all
> that secondary cooking I'd expect it to. The raspberry was just as
> wonderful after the second processing, so I don't think the waterbath
> processing negatively affected my jams.

Good news!

> The red pepper jelly sounds wonderful. What do you use it for? I
> can see it poured over a small block of cream cheese and used as a
> dip.

> Christine

That's its common use. Some use it to glaze grilled chicken, too.

Here's the recipe I use:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly

Recipe By: Sunset Canning Book, p 54
Serving Size: 72
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 package (about 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup seeded, chopped fresh red Fresno chiles or
red (or green) jalapeño chiles (4-6
medium-size chiles)
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 box powdered pectin (1.75 or 2 ounce)
6 cups sugar

In a blender or food processor, chop apricots, peppers, and 1-3/4 cups
of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely ground. Pour into
a heavy-bottomed 8- to 10-quart pan. Rinse food processor/blender with
the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar; pour into pan. Stir
in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
constantly. Quickly add sugar, still stirring. Return to a full
rolling boil; then boil, stirring for 1 minute. (If using a 2-oz. box
of pectin, boil for 2 minutes.) Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly
screw on bands. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.

Or omit processing and ladle jelly into freezer jars or freezer
containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. Let stand for 12 to
24 hours at room temperature; freeze or refrigerate.

Makes about 6 half-pints. (More like 9)
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: First Prize at the State Fair, 1993 & 1998; second in 1995 &
'96.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.