Bob Travis

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

Well, Jack, I see in a round about way, the majority of the people here take
my mother-in-law's side, presumably because she's past seventy and still
here to talk about it, or you just know more about apple crisp than I do. My
initial thought was, better safe than sorry, but I have to admit it tasted
pretty good when it first came out of the oven, maybe it wouldn't be so bad
now. I think the group has fairly well convinced me that it's not a lot
different than apple pie and I know there have been many occasions where I
have eaten an apple pie several days old that had never been refrigerated.

Maybe I was overdoing it a bit when I began making a big deal about it not
being refrigerated. Well, did you ever see the TV show "Monk"? We could
have been twins except I'm the real thing and he's just an excellent actor
reading a very funny script. When I was a kid if you wanted a drink of my
coke or a bite of my ice cream I would take a big chug or a big bite and let
you have the rest. I'd say something like, "I'm full," or "I've had enough,"
while thinking what a ******* you were for having the gall to ask for a bite
or a swallow, then think I was going to keep eating it after you had some. I
soon figured out that if I was going to keep any friends I had to buy them
one of their own oe just make sure I never ate around them any more.

Bob

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Bob Travis" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.
> >
> > My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
> > dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after

cooking.
> > She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just

after
> > supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be

refrigerated
> > until after it is served after supper.

> STOP RIGHT THERE! You're in the wrong newsgroup, so far.
>
> Try he alt.broom.for.mummy
>

> > I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
> > begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after

breakfast
> > and after supper she should only have warmed up what she anticipated we
> > would eat and kept the rest refrigerated.

> nope. try rec.don.quixote
>

> > Well she got all huffy and picked up her apple crisp and went home. My
> > thinking was, "Good riddens," but my wife asked me if I was absolutely

> sure
> > that it needed to be refrigerated and if there was any truth to her

mom's
> > comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
> > refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?

> ouch. maybe alt.picnic.food.left.out.nobody.died
>

> > I said, "No, I'm not sure and maybe she really knows what she was

talking
> > about." My wife then said, "Well, you better find out because if you are
> > wrong and she is right then you owe mom an apology." I said, "Okay, I'll

> get
> > on the web and find out."

> wow! rec.research.then.grovel
>

> > I looked and looked and the best I could find was that apple crisp keeps

> for
> > three days WITH refrigeration. I could not find anything which specified

> how
> > long it could go without refrigeration on the day it was prepared.

> hmmm....a curve ball. ok, how bout alt.eat.it.and.see
>

> > I am hoping someone here knows or can tell me where to look. I want to

> know
> > if who was right and who was wrong.
> >
> > Thanks for a clue.
> >

> nah, that's alt.clues.r.us
>
> What's in apple crisp? apples, brown sugar, oatmeal, maybe a little

butter?