The Joneses

Default Jelly leftovers?

Anny Middon wrote:

> I've made jam for many years now, but this is the year I'm going to try my
> hand at jelly. I ordered a jelly stand and bag so I'm ready to go.
> I think I'll start with strawberry jelly, or maybe strawberry-rhubarb jelly
> if our little rhubarb patch has enough mature stalks. Good farmers' market
> strawberries run $3.50-$4.00 per quart, so this will be expensive jelly!
> I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that you can use the fruit left
> in the jelly bag for something -- maybe some kind of jam? Anyone know what
> I'm talking about or have some recipes? Shelf space I got, but freezer
> space is at a minimum so I prefer something that can be canned.

I love strawberries too much to waste any of it on jelly. But I do use the
mush from quinces (which are inedible raw but make a lovely honey flavored
jelly) to make very nice "butter". I usually flavor it up with something
different than the jelly. Ditto with apples. The nice thing about butters is
one simmers the dickens out of the strained/milled mush to the desired
consistency maybe with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice for safety, and cans
just like jam. Maybe 5' more per jar than jelly in the BWB.
I missed the Cherry Festival up in the mountains north of here. I was just
too tired to drive 300 miles round trip for fresh local cherries. Maybe I'll try
to make it up there this week & hope the harvest ain't completely done.
St. Pectina forgive me for my weakness.
Edrena, beating on chest, howling at the moon