Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tinman Tinman is offline

Default Traeger flavor issue (Was: Traeger Grill Temperature Problem)

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Tinman" wrote in message
This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves
the flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if
I use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as
evident.

I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with
electric and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is
just not heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real
flame. I've had some from gas smokers that were virtually
indistinguishable from wood fired cookers, I've had it from others that
had that lumber taste you speak of.

I'm going to buy one last batch of pellets and see how it goes.

What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the chicken
rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't quite
understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of smoke,
would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to cover
something up g.

Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand. Was
never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the solution to which
costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that *begins* at 225 degrees).
For nearly the price of just that thermostat I can buy a WSM.

For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.

--
Mike