Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jim Johansen Jim Johansen is offline

Default Tri Tip questions

My questions a

Should I grill with the fat cap down? And how often should I turn the
meat if all?

I sear fat cap, then turn and let it finish over indirect medium /high heat.

I am going to be slow cooking or using the indirect method by cutting off
one burner.

Is this a good idea or not?

I wouldn't cook this cut slowly.

Is using my little smoke box with hickory chips going to impart too much
flavor for something that's already going to be marinating overnight in
Teriyaki marinade?

Santa Maria style cooks them over oak and uses a simple rub like Susie Q's
(google it, you can buy it online). This is a delicious cut of meat. It's
great with salt and pepper. I personally wouldn't mask the flavor with
teiyaki, but I know many do.