Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Traeger flavor issue (Was: Traeger Grill Temperature Problem)

"Tinman" > wrote in message

> I ask because I'm beginning to think that what is gained in convenience is
> lost in taste. There is something about it that doesn't quite seem right.
> Can't put an exact word or words to it but if I had to it would be
> something like smoked lumber, with a hint of burning sawdust. Even the
> smoke doesn't smell like what I've noticed in other smokers, or in most
> BBQ joints.
>
> I'm hoping it's me.

snip
> This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves the
> flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if I
> use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as
> evident.

I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with electric
and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is just not
heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real flame. I've
had some from gas smokers that were virtually indistinguishable from wood
fired cookers, I've had it from others that had that lumber taste you speak
of.