Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tutall Tutall is offline

Default Tri Tip questions

On Jun 9, 9:16 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:57:03 -0700, Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
> > "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >news

> >> Do not slow cook tri-tips. Grill over med heat, flipping 3
> >> times, until it read 128 inside.

> > Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try to cook it that way but what is medium
> > heat? Approximately? What temperature is that?

> I don't know. Let call it 'hot'. Less than the temperature
> you'd cook a steak on the grill.

On my grill I use a normal fire but lower the fire grate to the second
rung down. Use the top one for steaks and the bottom one for chicken.
I use the same rung for pork tenderloins if that helps. Put the tri-
tip directly over the fire. It gets a black singe on the non fatty
side, which more often than not is both sides now adays that those
mofo's trim all the fat off.
I used to put the meat off to the side of the fire, but like these
guys say, that results in tought meat. Direct is the way to go!

My favorite marinade for tri-tip:

1/2 cup soy sauce
Several Shakes Lawery's Seasoned pepper <----key ingredient
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/8th cup cooking oil
2-3 (more?) cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs powdered ginger

marinade 2 hours or as much as overnight