Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rechazador de Disparates Rechazador de Disparates is offline

Default Horchata

On Jun 9, 4:45?pm, chilichick wrote:
Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
traditional way.

What do you mean by "traditional"? The Mexican version is not the
traditional recipe.

"Orxata" has been made for thousands of years. My ancestors who lived
in Spain did not use
rice water to make it, they grew and harvested chufas, which are a
reedlike plant that the Egyptians used to make "orxata".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata