Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jebediah Kornworthy[_3_] Jebediah Kornworthy[_3_] is offline

Default Tri Tip questions

Hello all,

I haven't posted here in a long time but I drop by from time to
time. I looked and looked but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for
when I Googled alt.food.barbecue archives and elsewhere on the net.

I have two 2.75 lb tri-tips I want to grill on my cheap Barbeques Galore
CookOn gas grill.

I am going to be marinating them over night in Lawry's Teriyaki marinade.

The tri-tips are approximately 2 1/2 inches thick at the thickest point. I
was thinking about slow cooking them on the grill and maybe even using
indirect heat by using just one burner. I was also thinking about using my
little smoker box and adding some hickory chips to add additional flavor. I
was told by my butcher to grill fat cap down.

My questions a

Should I grill with the fat cap down? And how often should I turn the meat
if all?

I am going to be slow cooking or using the indirect method by cutting off
one burner.

Is this a good idea or not?

Is using my little smoke box with hickory chips going to impart too much
flavor for something that's already going to be marinating overnight in
Teriyaki marinade?

How much total cooking time should I give it? And at what temperature? I
know that they say 160° for the inside of a thick cut of meat but would that
be too much for something this thin that's going to rest for 30 to 40
minutes after cooking? I want to cook it medium rare and I read that 145°
is the correct inside temperature for that. My gas grill can cook at
temperatures between 200°-500°

I was thinking that I would use my smoker box and use the indirect method by
not using the grill burner that the meat is on.

Searing the top of the meat at high temperature and then cooking the
remainder of the time with the fat cap down on the grill at around 250° for
a nice slow cook indirectly.

Now it's really just figuring out how much time I should cook it
(approximately) given the above conditions? I know that I'll have to be
watching it but I was just wondering about approximate cooking time.

Sorry for asking any questions that have already been answered but I just
wanted to make sure that I am not over cooking my tri-tips.

Any answers questions or comments would be greatly appreciated.