Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

<<coming out of lurk mode>>
Dear Mr. Travis,
I have cooked in a few restaurants over a few years when I was younger. I
can tell you that, if there is ANY dairy used in the apple crisp it must be
refrigerated from shortly after it has cooled. This usually means BUTTER,
MILK, CREAM, etc. This was a RULE at one restaurant I worked in that was
known for its desserts. It was then cooled and kept close to frozen to help
keep it from spoiling and to help maintain shape and its quality. When we
were about to serve it to someone it would be placed on a tray, put under
the broiler for less than 2 minutes to bring it up to temperature and
restore its flavor and consistency. It was then served on a plate with ice
cream.
In general, it then can be said to depend on the recipe. If it has dairy
REFRIGERATE, it will probably keep for a week or more. If there is no dairy
it is probably safe out, but I still would not want to chance it, though I
am a bit on the cautious side since I learned about restaurants and their
kitchens first hand.
I hope this helps.
If you need to contact me by email I am at your disposal, I am sure my email
address is easily understood. If you do email me, please put ***APPLE CRISP
in the SUBJECT line so my computer will grab the message as having a
priority that I need to pay attention to and the APPLE CRISP reference will
remind me of where and who the subject comes from.
Bon Apetite
Mike

"Bob Travis" > wrote in message
. net...
> Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.
>
> My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
> dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
> She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
> supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
> until after it is served after supper.
>
> I said any cooked food will start harboring bacteria just as soon as it
> begins to cool, so she should have refrigerated it shortly after breakfast
> and after supper she should only have warmed up what she anticipated we
> would eat and kept the rest refrigerated.
>
> Well she got all huffy and picked up her apple crisp and went home. My
> thinking was, "Good riddens," but my wife asked me if I was absolutely

sure
> that it needed to be refrigerated and if there was any truth to her mom's
> comment about the apple crisp's high sugar content making it so no
> refrigeration is necessary the first day after cooking?
>
> I said, "No, I'm not sure and maybe she really knows what she was talking
> about." My wife then said, "Well, you better find out because if you are
> wrong and she is right then you owe mom an apology." I said, "Okay, I'll

get
> on the web and find out."
>
> I looked and looked and the best I could find was that apple crisp keeps

for
> three days WITH refrigeration. I could not find anything which specified

how
> long it could go without refrigeration on the day it was prepared.
>
> I am hoping someone here knows or can tell me where to look. I want to

know
> if who was right and who was wrong.
>
> Thanks for a clue.
>
> Bob