James A. Finley

Default Half-sour pickles

"Puester" > wrote in message

> When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)
>
> TIA,
>
> gloria p

Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
Posted by : Leslie

These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a glass
or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved (no need to
peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4 cup of kosher
salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to dissolve salt. Leave
on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days. Taste, and if done to your
liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a week for best flavor, as they will
continue to pickle and get cloudy.
Enjoy,
Leslie