Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alan Petrillo Alan Petrillo is offline

Default Old Keemun

Dominic T. wrote:
> On Jun 8, 6:36 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>> My girlfriend's mother gave us a tin of Keemun that she got when they
>> were living in Taiwan. It's at least 35 years old. To say it was
>> outstanding would be the great grandmother of all understatements, at
>> least for my unpracticed palate.
>>
>> It's labeled as "Keemun Black Tea", and the manufacturer label is "China
>> National Native Produce & Animal By-Products Import & Export Corporation
>> Shanghai Tea Branch".
>>
>> Considering what I've read about the Chinese tea industry going
>> downhill, should I even try to find more of this tea?
>>
>> Where might I find a particularly good Keemun?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> AP

> Wow, 35 year old Keemun... that might have other... magical properties
> by now or just be stale.

I expected it to be stale, and was thoroughly amazed when it wasn't. Or
maybe just something magical had happened to it. ;->

> I have actually found a fairly well sealed
> packet of black tea that was about 5 years old and it still brewed a
> pretty good cup... never 35 though. That thing went "Antique" 10 years
> ago.

This was in a Japanned tin that was sealed with lacquer, so that might
have had something to do with it.

> I'd try some samples from an online source, I've found cheaper Keemun
> to be hit or miss with many more misses than hits. Every now and then
> you'll hit a winner. Uptons, teaspring, and shops like that are
> probably a good starting place.
>
> - Dominic

Thanks, Dominic.

I had a feeling that if anyone in the NG had an idea you would.

BTW: I wish you good luck in your search for fishy tasting green tea.
When you find some you may have my share of it, as I can't stand the
stuff. Further proof that everyone's taste is different. Wouldn't the
world be so boring otherwise?

AP