Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Old Keemun

On Jun 8, 6:36 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> My girlfriend's mother gave us a tin of Keemun that she got when they
> were living in Taiwan. It's at least 35 years old. To say it was
> outstanding would be the great grandmother of all understatements, at
> least for my unpracticed palate.
>
> It's labeled as "Keemun Black Tea", and the manufacturer label is "China
> National Native Produce & Animal By-Products Import & Export Corporation
> Shanghai Tea Branch".
>
> Considering what I've read about the Chinese tea industry going
> downhill, should I even try to find more of this tea?
>
> Where might I find a particularly good Keemun?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> AP

Wow, 35 year old Keemun... that might have other... magical properties
by now or just be stale. I have actually found a fairly well sealed
packet of black tea that was about 5 years old and it still brewed a
pretty good cup... never 35 though. That thing went "Antique" 10 years
ago.

I'd try some samples from an online source, I've found cheaper Keemun
to be hit or miss with many more misses than hits. Every now and then
you'll hit a winner. Uptons, teaspring, and shops like that are
probably a good starting place.

- Dominic