Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alex[_3_] Alex[_3_] is offline

Default Japan - request for information

On Jun 6, 2:00 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 4:16 pm, Alex > wrote:
>

> > Hi all,

> > I'm going to be in Japan at the end of the month, and I was wondering
> > if any of you could recommend some tea-related activities or
> > destinations in either Tokyo or Kyoto. In particular it would be
> > great to have recommendations for specialty stores in Tokyo, as I'm
> > spending a lot more time there than in Kyoto and I'd like to bring
> > some tea back as gifts. Also, it would be good to hear opinions on
> > whether or not it is worth one's time to seek out a demonstration of
> > the tea ceremony (leaving aside the fact that I can't sit seiza for
> > more than about 18 seconds).

> > thanks in advance

> > Alex
> > (on second bowl of cold matcha)

> Uji FTW! I had a friend who lived near Uji and the photos were
> amazing. So were the teas I used to get from him.
>
> on a different note, if you are a "geek" at all or into electronics
> Shinjuku is pretty cool. I worked in the gaming media for a few years
> and Shinjuku was always a kind of Mecca.
>
> Enjoy the trip, it will be two years before I can go to Uji but it is
> already planned.
>
> - Dominic- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I will definitely try
to drop by Uji.

Dominic - I'm not that much of a geek but my cousin lives near
Shinjuku so that's where I'm staying in Tokyo. It's a pretty amazing
place.

Thiterflit - I don't suppose you could recommend a book or article
about the tea ceremony? I read a bit of anthropology so perceived
dryness or academic tone is ok. Also, thanks for the recommendation
on Nezu, I will definitely check that out.