Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Patrick Heinze[_2_] Patrick Heinze[_2_] is offline

Default Japan - request for information

MarshalN schrieb:

>> In summary, the very first thing that comes to mind is the line of tea
>> shops in Uji.

> Last time I've been there was about 4 years ago, and I suspect not
> much has changed. The tea-ceremony place was there when I went for a
> very modest sum. Uji is a great place to visit if you love tea and
> want to see nice architecture and be away from the big crowds. Bring
> your camera.

I second every single word said here. Uji is the place to go for some
excellent tea. I was there twice - once in august and once in january.
While the time in august was very nice (and humid, and lots of mosquitos
and rain/typhoons), it was in in january when I loved it most. Uji is a
quite place in summer too, but there is the occasional busload full of
travelling nihonjin. In winter, everything is so quiet. I had a great
time with one of the shopkeepers, talking about the old days of Uji and
his ancestor's teashop - in which we were sitting in. And he poured some
great tea while he did his talking. Ah, the memory.

Anyway, Uji is a great place, but the actual plantations are in the
surrounding mountains. It is possible to get there by bus and local
trains. There aren't to many sights, but strolling along the plantations
is worthwhile, even out of harvesting season. Ask at the tourist office
right outside Uji station, they know about the directions.

ciao
Patrick