Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default Smoking lamb

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "43fan" > wrote:
>
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Don't know if I can find a leg, might end up with a shoulder or???
>>>
>>> Grate temp? Meat temp for rare? Graeme? Thanks.
>>>

>> I did a leg of lamb this past New Years. Kept the pit around 225-250,
>> internal temp on the meat to 140. Some of the most delicious meat I've
>> ever had. Nothing wild with seasoning either, just salt, pepper, fresh
>> garlic and olive oil rubbed all over and "around" if I remember right.
>> Used apple wood for the smoke.
>>

> Thanks. It's been over a year, but I think that's about how I did it,
> except I think I pulled it at 135 and used Kaffir lime instead of apple for
> smoke.

It's been well over a year, but I used Aspen rather than apple or Kaffir
lime. I just salted and peppered the lamb. My wife has a phobia about
rare meats other than beef, so I got it up to about 160. A number of
people here have said that was WAY overdone. I won't argue the point.
However, it was still delicious. My wife said it was the best thing to
come out of the smoker.

I have read that barbecued mutton is even better than barbecued lamb,
but it is all but impossible to find mutton in this part of the country
so that experiment will have to wait a bit longer.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
All good work is done in defiance of management. - Bob Woodward