pickle

Default Sauerkraut not fermenting

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I read it wrong. I read 3 tablespoons, but thought 1 tablespoon. It

still
> may have not been enough salt, depending on what brand of kosher salt you
> used and how fluffy they mill it. Other than that, I don't know what

might
> be wrong.
>
> -Bob
>

> RichK wrote:
> > Your answer is interesting. 3T is about 1.3 oz, which is 1/12 lb. The

3T
> > figure came from 3 different sources.

> > for 2

that.

of

> > quart

> >>You didn't use nearly enough salt. Five pounds of cabbage should have
> >>about 1/10 pound of salt. I'm not sure what to expect at the ratio you

> > used.
> >
> >>Best regards,
> >>Bob
> >>

> >Say Hey !!

The way we prepare it is shred a bunch of cabbage in a 5 gallon plastic
bucket. Handful of salt goes on the bottom of the bucket. Layer a bunch of
cabbage and then throw another layer of salt on. Do this until your out of
cabbage (we use l0 kgs (22 lbs). Throw layer of salt on top of cabbage and
then nicely pack cheese cloth around the cabbage. Let it ferment. Remove and
clean cheese cloth daily after (fermenting) bubbling begins. Do NOT stir the
cabbage. Should be ready in 5/6 weeks but here in Thailand the cabbage is
now a golden color and is called kraut - about two (2) weeks. Temperatures
higher here in SEA.