Posted to rec.food.cooking
-bwg -bwg is offline

Default Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Lamb can be eaten rare or even raw, and in that way is best with a
very lean cut like the leg. Google "kibbeh nayyeh" (or close
misspellings of it) for a middle eastern raw lamb version of steak
tartare. Trichinosis from pork occurs so infrequently in the USA that
it is barely worth worrying about. The handful of cases of trichinosis
cases that occur in the USA are almost all traceable to bear or elk,
if I remember correctly (and I may not, but they are traceable to
something other than pork). You can, if you wish, do some research and
find out for yourself the incidence rates.

-bwg