Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default Making jerky

Shawn wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> Shawn wrote:
>>
>>> Hey! You're blowing our marketing program here.
>>> We figured out a couple of decades ago that the only way to rid
>>> ourselves of this nusance weed was to create a global market for it.

>> I think that the finest Porterhouse I ever ate was at some restaurant
>> in Austin, back in the 70's. The steak was grilled over Mesquite
>> coals and served with a ladle of Pintos in a tin plate. I've had
>> many steaks in my life, including Angus steers that started out life
>> after weening on corn/hay/drylass and hung for 30+ days before
>> cutting. Never, have I had a finer steak than that night in Austin,
>> and I've never been able to recreate it.

> That's probably the difference. Once it has burned down to coals, the
> flavor mekkows a lot. Most folks don't go to the effort of pre-burning
> before adding to the smoker.
>
> If you pre-burn to coals first, I think you can get acceptable Q from just
> about any non-processed hardwood. (with the exception of Cowboy lump. (Who
> knows what they put in that stuff))

I think this is true for about any wood. FWIW, I almost always cooked
on pre burn when I was more active in grilling and smoking. I presently
am limited in smoking to my Bradley, which uses compressed wood pucks,
fed onto a heater every 20 minutes. The heater seems to be a reasonable
compromise between lump and pre burn, since you get a good smoke flavor
without much creosote or tars. In the case of the Mesquite pucks,
however, I don't like the flavor as much as the traditional pre burn
Mesquite. I don't understand the "why," of this, but have about given
up using the Mesquite pucks and am sticking to Apple, Alder and the
"special blend."

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by