Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Vicky Conlan Vicky Conlan is offline

Default Stop! Don't Boil That Broccoli.

According to >:
>I've eaten broccoli and cauliflower raw in salads before and was pleasantly
>surprised by how good they were. I adore brussel sprouts, but have never
>eaten them raw, may give it a try one day by chopping a few up and mixing
>with salad leaves!

Yuck. I can eat a very small amount of raw veg, but mostly I find it
gives me indigestion, and I just don't eat very much at all. I mean,
losing 80% of the nutrients isn't such a bad thing if the alternative
is eating less than 20% of the raw product. :-)

>I much prefer my veggies steamed or microwaved, they retain so much more
>flavour as well as being better for you.

I must admit, I usually boil, although I sometimes make an effort to
use the leftover water for stock or soup. My typical "quick food for
the kids" is to throw some pasta in water and whilst it's cooking, add
in some chopped up veg (such as carrots, broccoli, beans, etc). But I
have started trying to steam them over the pasta instead of adding it
in instead (which also cuts down needing to have the veg in the salt-
water of the pasta, but takes longer, so has to be timed a bit more
carefully)