Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Shawn Shawn is offline

Default Making jerky

Nonnymus wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>

>> Hey! You're blowing our marketing program here.
>> We figured out a couple of decades ago that the only way to rid
>> ourselves of this nusance weed was to create a global market for it.

> I think that the finest Porterhouse I ever ate was at some restaurant
> in Austin, back in the 70's. The steak was grilled over Mesquite
> coals and served with a ladle of Pintos in a tin plate. I've had
> many steaks in my life, including Angus steers that started out life
> after weening on corn/hay/drylass and hung for 30+ days before
> cutting. Never, have I had a finer steak than that night in Austin,
> and I've never been able to recreate it.

That's probably the difference. Once it has burned down to coals, the
flavor mekkows a lot. Most folks don't go to the effort of pre-burning
before adding to the smoker.

If you pre-burn to coals first, I think you can get acceptable Q from just
about any non-processed hardwood. (with the exception of Cowboy lump. (Who
knows what they put in that stuff))