George Shirley

Default Health Pressure cooker/canner

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Odds are your canner uses the same steam pressure gauge, safety pop
>> off and gasket as the National Presto canners did. Go to this site
>> once you get the canner in hand and check for the needed parts. IIRC
>> all the gauges had the same diameter and grade of thread where they go
>> into the lid. Most of the rubber safety pop offs are the same size, as
>> are many of the gaskets, based on the diameter of the lid, etc. Don't
>> know about what your're calling a relief valve as I couldn't see it
>> well enough on the picture at eBay. Try this URL:
>> http://www.wisementrading.com/canning/canners.htm
>>
>> George

> It looked to me like it has a metal popoff valve rather than a rubber
> plug. (it should probably be tested too.) My mom's old canner has one,
> and you open it to vent the canner for a few minutes and exhaust the air
> before you let it build pressure. If you forget to watch the gauge,
> it's supposed to open and release the pressure before the canner blows up.
>
> I would rather have a metal popoff valve than a rubber plug on a canner.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Looking at the picture on eBay there seems to be a standard Presto
rubber blow out piece on the lid. That's the one that has the metal
piece that pops up when the pressure is going right not the little
rubber dinky thing on pressure cookers of olden times.

My 40 yo Sears and Roebuck canner has a pressure gauge, a jiggler (set
at 15 lbs) and the rubber thingy I just told you about. All have their
purposes.

George