Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Diabetic problem with sugar in bacon?

l, not -l wrote:
> On 25-May-2007, (Phred) wrote:
>
>> A diabetic friend was telling me this evening that when he eats out
>> for breakfast he ends up with rapidly spiralling blood sugar levels
>> following eating at one particular cafe in town.
>>
>> Whichever cafe he eats at, he orders bacon, eggs, and sausage; plus
>> coffee and two slices of toast. [I think you yanks may call sausages
>> "links"?]

> IME. it is much mire likely to be the toast. Whaaaaat kind of bread
> and what does he put on it?

Yes! And what does he put on the toast? Jam? Honey?

My ex- was diabetic; it was diet-controlled. If, for example, he ate a
couple of mini Snicker's candy bars during the day he'd have to cut out the
toast no matter what he put on it. It was all a matter of checks &
balances. The complex carbs in breads, potatoes, etc. were as likely to
cause a glucose spike as the sugar from the mini candy bars. He simply
couldn't have both in a day.

Oh, and we have sausage "links" and also bulk ground sausage formed into
patties Someone else mentioned maple cured bacon. That may also
contribute to the spike - maple "sugar" in the bacon cure on top of toast or
toast with jam.

Jill