Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Diabetic problem with sugar in bacon?

(Phred) wrote in news:5bo6p3F2tl9s9U1
@mid.individual.net:

> G'day mates,
>
> A diabetic friend was telling me this evening that when he eats out
> for breakfast he ends up with rapidly spiralling blood sugar levels
> following eating at one particular cafe in town.
>
> Whichever cafe he eats at, he orders bacon, eggs, and sausage; plus
> coffee and two slices of toast. [I think you yanks may call sausages
> "links"?]
>
> I suggested the problem may be due to more than the usual
> contamination of the snags with cereal products at that particular
> outlet; but he was adament it had to be a *sugar* rather than more
> complex carbohydrates that caused the problem for him because the rise
> in blood sugar was so rapid.
>
> He did say he thought it might be the bacon because, while it tasted
> pretty much as you would expect bacon to taste, there was a subtle
> difference in flavour compared to "normal" bacon at other places.
>
> Coincidentally, one of the threads here in RFC tonight concerned
> "Canadian bacon" which someone referred to as "sweet pickle-cured
> bacon". That made me wonder if there is indeed a bacon which is cured
> with rather more sugar in the brew than traditionalists might expect?
>
> A quick google hasn't got me all that far towards resolving this
> question, so I'm hoping someone here in RFC may be familar with the
> ways bacon can be cured and can offer comment on the possible sugar
> content of the methods used.
>
> Thanks in advance for your response(s).
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Get the guy to look at a glycemic index table. A canadian invention from
the late 60's. It shows the effect that common foods have to blood
glucose. I've seen an Austrailian version, but forget what site.

Being a type 2 myself....I assure you his spike is more from the carbs in
the bread and the potatoes than any sugar in his breakfast meat.

Ask this question on the alt.food.diabetic newsgroup for a way fuller
much longer answer.

or go to
http://www.mendosa.com/faq.htm for more info on glycemic index

--