Posted to alt.food.wine
Matt S Matt S is offline

Default Hunter Valley (Australia) Tours

On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:37:38 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Matt S wrote:
>
>> Dale, the HV as you would know, is the epicentre of Australia's best
>> Semillon. Tyrell's Vat 1 and Belfords, McWilliam Mt Pleasant
>> Lovedale, and Brokenwood again, continually put forward world class
>> Semillon, that ages magnificently. Unfortunately, here in Oz, outside
>> of Sydney, Semillon is virtually unsellable, which is a travesty IMHO
>> considering the varietals potential to age gracefully.

>Swoop,
> Coincidentally, I was reading an article by Matt Kramer (in the Wine
>Expectorator of all places!) last night that extolled the virtues of HV
>Semillons as Oz's best dry white and the closest thing to Chablis. Of
>course, this ain't news to those of us who've listened to Lord St H wax
>prosaic ;-) about them in this ng.
>
>Mark Lipton

Fortunate enough last night to have shared a bottle of Tyrell's '97
Belford. I stated to swmbo that without doubt, aged semillon is my
fave white wine. If most Australians fail to recognise their
magnificence, well, I'll just do the consumption myself...:>)

BTW: My limited exposure to French whites took an upturn the previous
night. A '98 Graves which I expected to be over the hill was a finely
balanced, subtle wine, which gracefully accompanied the 6lb Lobster a
mate dropped in (he lost a bet...:>)).

hooroo....