Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Default Traeger electric auger smoker

mark wrote:
> Are they any good?

I bought one a month ago - the 075 model "Texas." I've done overnight smokes
twice. The first one went great. Last night, the fire went out. Got up
around 8 a.m., smoker was cold. Turned it off, then on again. The Traeger
got so hot it blistered the paint, and burnt my Brisket and Boston Butt
roast to a crisp. Threw the meat into the trash. After the smoker cooled
down, I cleaned it out. There were pellets everywhere.

I called the place I bought it from and told the whole story. They're going
to call the distributor and tell me what went wrong and what they are going
to do to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

And yes, I cleaned out the whole smoker before I started my overnight smoke.
Vacuumed out the ash, etc. Made sure I got the fire going real strong - it
was smoking fine for 2 hours before I went to bed.

So, while my experience with the Traeger is fair to above average on things
that don't have to cook all day, like ribs, chicken breasts, veggies,
steaks, even pizza, I'm one for two on overnight smokes. What bothers me the
most is, the Traeger has now proven to be unreliable. Luckily, I hadn't
planned to entertain a housefull of guests. The brisket was to be given to
help out a family whose child is sick in the hospital until August. The
Boston Butt was for us.

But, if I had planned to feed 25 or 30 people who were coming over today
expecting real barbecue, I'd have taken that Traeger back where I bought it
and dropped it on their doorstep, refund or not.

EZ