Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio Joe Sallustio is offline

Default Storing

Jim,
I don't have an ideal cellar, it's vibration and light free because I
live in Pittsburgh and underground basements with at least 2 walls
underground are the norm because it's hilly. It's a small room, about
4' x 12' that was built as a 'canning cellar'. I don't condition it
so the temperature varies slowly from maximum excursions of around 45
to 70 F. For the most part it's in the 50's in winter to 60's in
summer and fall.

That has worked out quite well for the styles and qualities of wine I
make; they age and mature well. I am still drinking wines I made in
1998 and they are none the worse due to storage.

All I am saying is that at least 95% of the wine made on earth is of
average quality and treating it like a First Growth Bordeaux may not
be justified. Like all things balance has to enter into the
equation. I wouldn't purposely mistreat a wine but I gave up
worrying about wine storage years ago because what I have is better
than average. Once I saw all the mold on old bottles of great wines
stored in caves I understood that my father has been right all along
when he says "It will turn out fine in spite of what you do to it..."

Joe