Posted to rec.food.cooking
markm75 markm75 is offline

Default Weber Performer Gas grill.. thoughts/tips?

On May 12, 9:36 pm, markm75 > wrote:
> On May 12, 3:32 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> > > I don't see any benefit to the Performer, unless someone sees paying
> > > double the price of an ordinary weber kettle grill (the same grill) is
> > > somehow a benefit?!?!? And the Performer is bulky and heavy for so
> > > little cooking area.... to me it's just a gimmick and a waste of a lot
> > > of money.

> > > Seems awfully Rube Goldbergish to deal with gas to light charcoal, if
> > > yer gonna bother with gas why not just get a Weber gas grill from the
> > > git go? duh Otherwise if you just gotta go charcoal get the ordinary
> > > kettle grill. But make up yer mind, gas, charcoal, gas, charcoal....
> > > what's so friggin' difficult to decide. Were I desireous of a
> > > charcoal grill (so I could play with ashes too) I'd get the small
> > > Weber kettle grill (~$65) to compliment my Genesis. But I have many
> > > years of playing with charcoal, I'd never go back.

> > The Performer with the gas lighter makes all the difference in the world for
> > me.
> > Throwing charcoal in the baskets, lighting for 5 minutes, and you have a
> > heat
> > source that is better than gas for many things. You can sear a steak with
> > the lid
> > up to insure rare meat inside. You can indirectly roast standing ribs,
> > turkeys, etc,
> > much better than with gas. You can smoke-cook at a lower temp. for ribs, and
> > fowl.
> > You can use wood on gas, but it really doesn't work very well.
> > Gas is better for fish, especially flaky fish, boneless chicken breasts, and
> > for ground meats,
> > plus a few others. The latter is true only, if you have the porcelein coated
> > cast iron
> > grate with the flat side up.
> > I use my Performer 70% and my Genesis 30%. As I enter the pre-geezer phase
> > of life,
> > I'm using the gas more, mostly for dietary[cholesterol] reasons.

> > Kent- Hide quoted text -

> So in about 5 mins your throwin stuff on .. or are u waiting about 15
> total minutes?
>
> I'm prolly heading out to get one this week - Hide quoted text -

Just to confirm on this one.. with the weber performer it is NOT
necessary to wait until the coals are completely white.. but rather,
just starting to turn white?

At what point does this typically occur.. the 5 minute gas burn then
how long (total time till ready to put on food)? Curious, as I just
finally got the grill today, trying some generic charcoal (wood
flavored) and want to see how it compares to some better stuff.

Thanks