Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected][_2_] smazur@ers.ca[_2_] is offline

Default Storing

Steve,

Not a bad idea in itsefl but here are some issues to consider:

-If when the compressor is running you can feel the fridge vibrate
when putting your hands on it, it's vibrating too much to store wine
long term. If you can find a way to stop vibration (add mass, level
the fridge) then I don't think it much of an issue.

-12c is the ideal cellering temperature. Too hot and the wine will age
too quickly (or even cook if it's expose to temperature in the mid 20c
for long periods). Too cool and it won't age much at all, just lose
it's fruit over time without gaining much of anything else. If you're
fridge can keep a temperature between 10c and 15c, go for it. Else,
you're better off keeping it in a dark corner of your basement.

-75% humidity is perfect for corks. Below 50% is cause for concern.
adding a bucket of water to your fridge can go a long way in helping
your fridge keep humidity.

More then anything else, wine doesn't tolerate large fluctuation of
temperatures. It's better to keep wine in a less then ideal but stable
environment then subjecting it to frequent changes.

Have fun,

Stefan Mazur