Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio Joe Sallustio is offline

Default Storing

On May 15, 1:10 am, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On 14 May 2007 22:00:18 -0700, against all advice, something
> compelled , to say:
>
> > On May 14, 8:04 pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> > > So could one insulate the bottles from the vibration using
> > > something like water balloons or fiberglass insulation? Is the
> > > vibration really that much of an issue?

> > If you keep it full you won't have much vibration. The weight of the
> > wine bottles will subdue most of the vibration from the compressor.

> I'll have to buy more wine? Damm the bad luck.
>

> > Set to the highest possible temperature, my refrigerator tends to stay
> > at a constant 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

> That's what I was thinking.
> --
>
> Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Or you could fill up some gallon containers with water, all you need
is mass. I wouldn't be overly concerned about vibration either unless
you can feel shaking when touching it gently. You can usually feel
vibration best with your fingernails on edge.

The main issue is relative humidity if he used natural corks.
Refrigerators dry the air out by design; you may want to keep a damp
sponge in there too in they are natural corks. If synthetic, it's not
an issue.

If all you are storing is wine this won't be running a lot anyway
since the door will be closed more than not.

Joe