Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default New Postal Rates

"jmcquown" wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > It is probably OT for this group but I had to look at the new
> > postal rates this morning since I had some heavier letters to
> > send. The US Post Office seems to have done a wonderful job of
> > complicating things with no simple formula applicable over a
> > large range. Have a careful look at letter post rates if you
> > have to go from 3 oz to 4 oz.

> > Fortunately, most things I mail to Europe and Canada are under 2
> > oz but the 1 oz increments are really erratic!

> > A rationale for the new rates is that they will increase
> > efficiency but it seems to me that they will increase business
> > at the actual post offices!

> For anything other than a standard letter I use the USPS web site and do the
> click & ship mail option to print postage (shipping labels) on my printer.
> Of course, you have to know the size of the package and the weight, but it
> saves a trip to to the post office.

I get my mail at my PO Box, so I go to the PO once or twice a week
anyway, so no problem for me. And the majority of the mail I send is
letters less than an ounce or packages more than a pound, it's very
rare I have something inbetween. I seem to over buy postage stamps...
I'm still working on using up my 37 cent stamps, haven't even gotten
to all the 39 cent stamps I bought, and now it's already 41 cents.
I'll just have to buy a few more sheets of penny stamps. At the rate
they keep upping the price I'll probably never need to buy 41 cent
stamps. I still remember when for quite a few years 1st class letters
cost 3 cents... and there are no more Air Mail stamps. Postage hasn't
really increased much over so many years, it's still the best bargain
on the planet. I really don't mind all these inconsequential changes,
makes life a bit more interesting... I think anyone who finds time to
carp about the cost of a postage stamp hasn't much of a life.

My only complaint is that now all the stamps are self-stick/no-lick...
killed stamp collecting... not that the stamps produced in recent
years are of a quality worth collecting... cheapo paper and they all
look like they came off a bubble jet printer, newsprint is better
quality.

Sheldon Fatalist Philatelist