Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Weber Performer Gas grill.. thoughts/tips?

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
news
> markm75 wrote:

>>> For doing bbq, where control of airflow is important for temperature
>>> control
>>> at lower temps, it is the wrong tool. It can be done, just as a
>>> crescent
>>> wrench can be used as a hammer, but it is far more of a hassel.
>>> That's why
>>> weber makes the excellent Weber Smokey Mountain.
>>>
>>> For information to get you started about BBQ, go to the bbq
>>> faq:http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/index.html

>>> It depends on the store, but most often it is briquettes.

>>> No, it cannot be used more than once. Once it is burned up, it is
>>> all gone.
>>> Sometimes there a bits of briquette that haven't been completely
>>> burned
>>> which you can then try to re-use. I don't, I dump it.

>>> No, you don't. With briquettes it is preferable, but you don't HAVE
>>> to.
>>> With lump, you can start grilling right away.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
>>> Davewww.davebbq.com

>> Thanks for the reply and website link.. that helps quite a bit.
>>
>> Any thoughts on whether its worth it to convert the disposable propane
>> to a refillable on the newer models? IE: Propane replacements are
>> $3.. how would that compare with being able to "refill".

> I have mine hooked up to a 500 gallon propane tank, so I don't have
> preferences with regard to your choices.
>
> --
> "So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

I have the older Performer with the 5lb refillable tank. That will light
about 150 batches
of charcoal if you are careful using it. Weber says a disposable propane
tank will
last 10-15 lights! That would be a real pain and it would be expensive. A
convert the disposable performer to one using either a 5lb or
even a 20lb tank by simply buying and installing a $5 hose from Weber. That
would be crucial
for me.

Kent