Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Weber Performer Gas grill.. thoughts/tips?

markm75 wrote:
> In my debate on gas vs charcoal i've decided to give this guy a shot..
> even though its grill area is only 22.5" compared to say 30".. i guess
> from what i've seen it can feed 4-6 in one shot, but i guess its no
> big deal to just add more meat when the first round is done.
>
> Any comments on these:
>
> Use lump coal, wood type too.. say pecan wood or mesquite or oak? If
> grilling, no need to add wood chips, but if slow cooking add them.

For doing bbq, where control of airflow is important for temperature control
at lower temps, it is the wrong tool. It can be done, just as a crescent
wrench can be used as a hammer, but it is far more of a hassel. That's why
weber makes the excellent Weber Smokey Mountain.

For information to get you started about BBQ, go to the bbq faq:
http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/index.html

> Are the typical bags of charcoal in the store lump style or
> briquettes? I cant remember..

It depends on the store, but most often it is briquettes.

> If i end up with the newer model (not the 2005) one.. is it true the
> gas is a disposable tank now, as before you could refill? Any
> advantages to trying to retro fit the tank so it can be refilled?
> Whats a typical refill cost vs a completely new disposable tank?

> I've heard that the charcoal can often be used more than once?

No, it cannot be used more than once. Once it is burned up, it is all gone.
Sometimes there a bits of briquette that haven't been completely burned
which you can then try to re-use. I don't, I dump it.

> ..... do you not need to wait until the charcoal is
> completely white (to avoid health issues) with this type of setup?

No, you don't. With briquettes it is preferable, but you don't HAVE to.
With lump, you can start grilling right away.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave