Marie Martinek

Default old turnips

In article >, Gary Woods > wrote:
>Eric Deaver > wrote:
>
>>Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
>>season. Is there anything I can do with them?

>Have you eaten one to see what they might be suitable for? If they're
>decent, I vote for steaming/mashing/freezing. If not, there's always soup
>base. I've got a couple of plastic milk jugs almost full of rapini
>blanching liquor in the freezer, for winter "what have I got lying around"
>soups. Beans, onions, curry, and leftover mystery meat are likely
>additives.

If they're truly huge, they might be "woody", so I would definitely try
cubing & cooking one up and tasting it. If it has you picking strings out
of your teeth, try running it through a food mill, and taste it again.

If they're OK as cubes, (pressure) can them as cubes and put them in stews.

If they're OK as puree, freeze it and use it as stew base (you can also
sneak it into soup and gravy)

--
Marie Martinek
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA