Posted to alt.food.barbecue
markm75 markm75 is offline

Default Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)?

I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...