Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ms P Ms P is offline

Default why won't they spread?

"merryb" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 9, 7:21 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:

>> > Add another 1/2cup of fat (butter). Make sure you're not using
>> > one of those "spreads" (less than 80% fat) instead of butter or
>> > margarine.

>> > -sw

>> I only use butter but next time I'll add another 1/2 cup or so. They
>> really
>> are good cookies even if they don't spread right.
>>
>> Ms P

> You may not want to try adding more butter- it's pretty tough to mess
> with a baking recipe and have it work out okay. Sounds to me like they
> may come out greasy. Are you chilling your dough? If so, try using it
> at room temp. And there are some cookie recipes that need to be
> smashed before baking, like some oatmeal cookie recipes. I would try
> those things before you alter your formula.

I mess with baking recipes all the time. Sometimes they come out better,
sometimes not. It's not the end of the world and my husband will always eat
cookie "failures." LOL

They barely have enough fat in them to keep them from sticking to the cookie
sheets. Another quarter to half cup probably won't make them at all greasy.
I never chill the dough for drop cookies. I make sure everything is at room
temp to start with.

Ms P