Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.food.drink
[email protected] oli@morethanorganic.com is offline

Default 'Natural wine' ?

Thanks for your comments Mike, and for taking the time to have a look
at the site.

You are right that there is nothing, in princple, to prevent you from
producing a very natural wine on a large vineyard or in large
quantities. Nor to prevent a very large company from producing some of
its wines in this way. It's a question of method rather than size or
ownership. In practice I think this is unlikely to happen, but that's
a slightly separate issue.

The only part of your post that I would really take issue with is
this :

> This is actually not bad and a lot better than the lesvinnaturels.org
> site, but unfortunately you will find that most of the winemakers that
> regularly meet in France under the "natural" label do not meet these
> criteria. And in the absence of a means for independently certifying
> that these criteria are met, the whole thing is meaningless.

I think the absence of independent certification makes things
difficult, but not meaningless. You can't simply go to 'natural wine'
fair and assume that all of the wines you find there are naturally
made.

Instead, you have to be clear about what you mean by natural wine and
do everything you can to ensure that the wines you sell as 'natural'
meet your own definition. That means working only with winemakers whom
you know and trust and have seen at work. Of course, it is still
possible for someone to fool you. But that's a risk that you have to
accept.

Until there is achange in the law, either to establish a sensible
definition of organic wine or to make it necessary to label wine with
it's additives and means of production, that's all you can do. But
it's still worth doing.

Thanks again for your interest.

Oliver Morgan

http://www.morethanorganic.com/