Posted to alt.food.barbecue
VegA VegA is offline

Default Turkey Legs

On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:19:14 -0400, "Anonymous" > wrote:

>One of my favorite "fairground foods" is smoked Turkey legs. How can I
>replicate at home?
>
>Time / Temp?
>
>Wood Type?
>
>Seasonings?
>
>Anyone do this much?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Stickyman
>Bridgeton, NJ

Brine them over night or upp to two days! How much brine depends on
how many you are cooking.

Mixture of Hickory and Mesquite works for me.

Seasonings? None. They get salt and a bit of sugar from the brine. If
people want to season them I offer salt and pepper on the table.

225 degrees till the leg hits 165 degrees internal temp works for me.
I don't go by "how many hours" with poultry. Too many variables for me
to consider that safe. Like it's been said by those much wiser than
I, "It's done when it's done.

This is my way of doing them and very close to what the ren-fests do.
They often reheat them on a grill. This wil also crispin the skin a
bit.

Ren-fests use what ever hard wood they can get cheap. Two that I have
been to use Hickory.

Let us know how they turn out!