Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Default Dinner tonight

VegA wrote:
> Cheap and easy night!
>
> Fired up the smoker with some nice mesq and hick. Got the temp stable
> at 375. Oiled up, salted and forked some holes on 4 baking potatos and
> cooked them in the smoker for about an hour.
>
> Split each spud on a plate, poured on some home made chilli, topped
> them with some sharp chedder/Jack, nuked them for 1 1/2 min. to melt
> the cheese.
>
> Simple, quick, and filling. Tasty too!
>
> If you live anywhere near Crystal Lake Il. and smelled some smoke you
> should have followed your nose!
>
> lol

I used to use Mesquite and Hickory for everything until I read that
Mesquite had a rather strong taste. I never noticed it until I switched
to a mix of cherry and hickory - what a difference! The smoked potatos
with chili sound great! You might want to give the cherry (or maybe
apple) a shot particularly with items like potatos and fish that can be
quickly overpowered by smoke compared to a brisket or pork shoulder.

I lived around Crystal Lake for many, many years - Cary, McHenry,
Woodstock. I can't believe how much has changed when I visit once, or
twice, a year. That interchange at 14 & 31 is nothing like it was 12
years ago when I moved to FL.

Dan