Frogleg

Default Seeking Some Advice from the Experienced

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:06:56 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>
>> For the past several years I've made homemade goodies to give at
>> Christmas. (This is in addition to the gifts I buy.) Last year it
>> was salsas, the year before mini-loaves of sweet bread and jars of
>> Christmas Conserve. Some years it's homemade candy or biscotti or
>> muffins.
>>
>> How come more people don't do this? I love getting homemade gifts.

> I don't have an answer for you, but I agree. My husband and I make
>most of the gifts we give at Christmas. He is very artistic, and I cook
>or knit pretty well, so we pair our gifts and put together little
>baskets and such. I've given up on knitting gifts for everyone, because
>it gets so stressful, and I'm not going to do another up till 5:00 am
>finishing and driving down to the ILs at 8:00 am again. So, I bake,
>make preserves, knit for immediate family, and Rich does wood carvings,
>paints ornaments (last year's were amazing with the inside of glass
>globes painted with a woodland scene), etc. People seem to really like
>them. I adore getting handmade presents, especially consumables, soaps,
>food items, etc.

I think the answer to "how come" is a combination of time available,
skill and experience, and in some cases, lack of appreciation. It's a
lot of work (and time) to bake, can, knit, embroider, carve, and wrap.
Much easier to dial an 800# and send a catalogue item winging on its
way. As some can't afford a great deal of money for presents, others
genuinely can't afford the time. However, a hand-made gift is surely
the most valuable one you can give or receive.