Leslie G

Default another use for pumpkin/squash (was late season preserves)

"Kathi" > wrote in message
om...

> a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
> 'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
> If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
> there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
> Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
> Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
> juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.
>
> The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
> pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
> canning cubes was safe.
>
> I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
> I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
> up being more than just pies...
>
> Kathi

If you have a lot of pumpkin/squash about.. here is another use.. this
recipe came from Putting Food By - Fourth Edition:
and is also BWB

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Ginger Squash Marmalade
=======================
4 Pounds Prepared winter squash
Or Pumpkin
4 Pounds Sugar
2 Lemons, grated and juiced
2 Ounces Crystalized ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Ground ginger
3 Cups Water
..
Peel the squash, scrape out the strings and seeds from the centre; save the
seeds. Slice and cut the peeled squash to make 4 lbs of 1/4 inch cubes. Put
the squash in a crockery bowl with the sugar, gingers, grated peel and juice
of lemons. Meanwhile break the seeds, put them in a pan with the water and
boil gently for 30 minutes; strain and add 2 1/2 cups of the liquid to the
squash mixture. Cover and refrigerate over night. Put into an enameled
kettle, and over medium heat, bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.
(here you can finish it in a 325F/163C oven or let it putter along with a
heat reducing pad under the kettle. Cook and stir until the squash is clear
and will set - about 45 - 60 minutes. Ladle immediately into clean, hot
jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom for pints, 1/4 inch for half pints.
Adjust lids; PROCESS IN A BOILING-WATER BATH FOR 10 MINUTES, 15 FOR PINTS
OR
HALF PINTS. Remove; cool upright and naturally.

Page 276 - Putting Food By

Servings: 4