Leslie G

Default Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter

"Kathi" > wrote in message
om...
> "Leslie G" > wrote in message

> > Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments
> >
> > Bernardin Book Pumpkin Butter
> > =============================
> > 4 Cups Prepared pumpkin
> > (about 1 8 inch pie pumpkin)
> > 2 Cups Brown sugar
> > 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
> > 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
> > 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
> > 1/2 Cup Liquid honey
> > 1/2 Cup Orange juice
> > .
> > prepare and sterilize 4 (5 to be on the safe side) half pint jars.
> >
> > Wash 1 8 inch pie pumpkin, cut into large peices, scrape out and discard
> > seeds. Place pumpkin in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a
> > boil; reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
> >
> > Remove rind from pulp. Measure 4 cups pulp. In Food Processor, combine

pulp
> > with brown sugar, spices, salt, honey and orange juice, puree until

smooth.
> > (do this in batches).
> >
> > Combine puree in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a
> > boil, reduce heat; Boil gently until thick, about 20 minutes.
> >
> > Place Snap lids in boiling water. Boil 5 minutes to soften sealing

compound.

> > Ladle butter into hot prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove

air
> > bubbles with rubber spatula, and readjust heatspace. Wipe jar rim,

center
> > lid and apply screw band until finger tip tight.
> >
> > Process in boiling water canner 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1,000 ft.
> >
> > Servings: 4

> a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
> 'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
> If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
> there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
> Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
> Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
> juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.
>
> The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
> pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
> canning cubes was safe.
>
> I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
> I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
> up being more than just pies...
>
> Kathi

It is called Bernardin book because that is where I got the recipe - an
earlier edition - 1995

and.. a pumpkin butter is not a puree. A pure pumpkin puree is unsafe to
BWB. However, this is a preserve with the addition of sugar. Sugar is a
preservative, and therefore, the only danger you would be in would be
fermentation if it it did not seal.

Leslie