Kathi

Default Late Season Preserves - Pumpkin Butter

"Leslie G" > wrote in message >...
> Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments
>
> Bernardin Book Pumpkin Butter
> =============================
> 4 Cups Prepared pumpkin
> (about 1 8 inch pie pumpkin)
> 2 Cups Brown sugar
> 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
> 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
> 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 Cup Liquid honey
> 1/2 Cup Orange juice
> .
> prepare and sterilize 4 (5 to be on the safe side) half pint jars.
>
> Wash 1 8 inch pie pumpkin, cut into large peices, scrape out and discard
> seeds. Place pumpkin in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a
> boil; reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
>
> Remove rind from pulp. Measure 4 cups pulp. In Food Processor, combine pulp
> with brown sugar, spices, salt, honey and orange juice, puree until smooth.
> (do this in batches).
>
> Combine puree in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a
> boil, reduce heat; Boil gently until thick, about 20 minutes.
>
> Place Snap lids in boiling water. Boil 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.
>

> Ladle butter into hot prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air
> bubbles with rubber spatula, and readjust heatspace. Wipe jar rim, center
> lid and apply screw band until finger tip tight.
>
> Process in boiling water canner 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1,000 ft.
>
> Servings: 4

a couple of things about this recipe bother me - first, what does
'Bernardin' have to do with it? There's no Bernardin product in it.
If you go the Bernardin web site, there is no pumpkin butter recipe
there that I could find. There is one in my 'revised, copyright 2000'
Bernardin 'Guide to Home Preserving' but it is called Citrus Pumpkin
Butter and actually has added pectin in it, also oranges and lemon
juice. The book does not have the above recipe in it.

The other thing I was wondering is, I thought it was unsafe to BWB
pumpkin puree (butter) because of its density, and that only pressure
canning cubes was safe.

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I just need this cleared up -
I've got allot of pureed pumpkin 'cubes' in my freezer that could end
up being more than just pies...

Kathi