Craig Watts

Default Seeking Some Advice from the Experienced

>Many thanks for any help. I'm really excited to get started!
>
>Lindy

>To reply take out the dog for a walk. Why not, it's Sunday.

To help some:

There are two different levels of canning. BWB (boiling water bath)
and Pressure (steam) canning. BWB heats the contents of the jar up to
212 degree and kills mold and mildews. Good for jams and jellies. The
toughest thing about jams and jellies is getting them to set. I've
given up on liquid Pectin and only use Surejell. Not selling products
or preaching, just sharing our experiences.

Once you get up to speed with the BWb I'm sure you'd like to do some
presure canning. Go chase down grandma for that canner. Man those
things are expensive.

Presure canning allows the contents of a jar exceed the 212 degree
limit of boiling water up to 245. Heated for the time allowed all the
contents are heated to 245. Thus everything is the jar is now dead.
All the bad boogers and stuff. When cooled it can now sit on the shelf
safely.

Notice the difference of high acid (BWB) and low acid (Pressure) with
meats and the such.

Happy canning.

Craig