The Joneses

Default Seeking Some Advice from the Experienced

Lindy wrote:

> Would some kind person point me in the right direction here? I have never
> canned anything in my life, but lately have become fascinated by the idea.
> I've been lurking in this group for lo these many months and now am excited
> about starting to do some canning myself.
>
> So - I ordered the Ball Home Canning Basics Kit- consists Of A 21 quart
> waterbath canner, canning jar rack, 6 pint jars, 6 collection elite lids, 1
> Ball Blue Canning Instruction book, 1 jar lifter, 1 lid wand, 1 canning
> funnel, & 1 bubble freer spatula.
>
> If it's not too much trouble I would very much appreciate some suggestions for
> easy first recipes to try. Most especially I would like some things I could
> try for small Christmas gifts.
>
> Many thanks for any help. I'm really excited to get started!
>
> Lindy
>

> To reply take out the dog

Well, be prepared for some wierd results sometimes. It's a little late in the
season, but apples are plentiful so how about some apple butter? I think it's
pretty forgiving and you can jazz up the taste the way you like it. Don't take
any shortcuts on processing time, jar sterilization, or just about any other part
of the recipe just yet; you wanta give gifts not a trip to the E.R. Keep a
journal of your efforts. One can make decent strawberry jam from frozen
strawberries, but let them thaw out first. They will be mushy, that's ok. Ditto
for just about any frozen berry.
Let us know how you go on.
Edrena